The 12 Best Spa Hotels in Wales
Wed 21 February 2024
Practical Information for your Wales Spa Weekend
Can you go to Wales by train?Yes, you can conveniently travel to Wales by train from various parts of the UK. Major cities like London, Manchester, and Birmingham have direct train services to Welsh destinations like Cardiff, Swansea, and Bangor, making it an easy and accessible choice for your UK spa getaway.
What airport do you fly into for Wales?If you prefer to fly, Cardiff Airport (CWL) is the primary international gateway to Wales. It offers connections to several UK and European cities. From the airport, you can easily reach your spa by train, bus, or car.
Can you go to Wales without a car?Absolutely! Wales has an extensive public transportation network, including trains and buses, making it possible to explore the country without a car. Many spa hotels also offer shuttle services for their guests.
Can you go on a day trip to Wales from London?While a day trip to Wales from London is possible, it's recommended to plan a longer stay to fully immerse yourself in the spa experience and explore the stunning Welsh landscapes. However, if time is limited, you can take a train from London to destinations like Cardiff, Swansea, or Newport for a day of relaxation and sightseeing.
The 12 Best Spa Hotels in Wales
1. St. Brides Spa Hotel, SaundersfootWhy It's Special: Situated on the Pembrokeshire Coast that boasts 600 miles of public footpaths, St. Brides Spa Hotel offers stunning sea views that you can take in from the hotel's sprawling infinity pool. Its marine spa features thermal rooms, a hydrotherapy pool, and a relaxation area. The spa hotel's location by the sea provides a peaceful backdrop for a spa retreat in Wales while its contemporary restaurant serving up locally sourced fish and stylish bedrooms mean you'll never need to leave.
2. The Quay Hotel and Spa, Deganwy, North WalesWhy It's Special: Overlooking the Conwy Estuary, this luxurious Wales spa hotel offers breathtaking views of the coastline. It features a spa with a thermal suite, relaxation rooms, and a hydrotherapy pool. The Quay Hotel and Spa's serene ambiance and top-notch treatments make it an ideal choice for a spa retreat in Wales.
3. Cliff Hotel Spa, WalesWhy It's Special: Perched on the cliffs overlooking Cardigan Bay, the Cliff Hotel Spa offers an oasis of tranquility. With facilities like an indoor pool, sauna, and a variety of spa therapies, it provides a perfect blend of relaxation and scenic beauty, establishing itself as a premier spa hotel in Wales.
4. The Lake Country House Hotel & Spa, WalesWhy It's Special: Tucked away in the Welsh countryside, this spa hotel in Wales is a haven for nature lovers. Its spa boasts a range of treatments, an outdoor hot tub, and a heated pool. Surrounded by lush gardens and a private lake, this hotel offers a unique spa experience in a serene environment, making it one of the top spa hotels in Wales. When staying at the hotel, don't miss the chance to visit Skomer Island where you can marvel at tons of rare birds like Razorbills and Puffins.
5. The Corran Resort & Spa, LaugharneWhy It's Special: This hidden gem in Laugharne offers a luxurious spa experience in a restored country house. The spa includes a saltwater hydrotherapy pool, sauna, and a range of treatments. The Corran's tranquil setting and historic charm make it an excellent choice for relaxation in one of Wales' premier spa hotels.
6. The Celtic Manor Resort, NewportWhy It's Special: Known for its world-class facilities, The Celtic Manor Resort boasts a sensational spa with thermal rooms, an infinity pool, and various treatments. It's an ideal destination for those seeking a luxurious spa break with a touch of opulence in Wales.
7. Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, PowysWhy It's Special: Located by Lake Vyrnwy, this hotel offers a spa experience immersed in nature. Its spa includes an infinity pool, thermal suite, and treatments using organic skincare products. The serene surroundings and outdoor activities make it perfect for a Wales spa retreat at one of Wales' finest spa hotels.
8. The Vale Resort, HensolWhy It's Special: Set in the Welsh countryside, the four-star Vale Resort features an impressive spa complex with a 20-metre pool, multiple treatment rooms, and a fitness suite. It's an excellent choice for those looking for a UK spa getaway combined with fitness and wellness in Wales.
9. Tre-Ysgawen Hall Country House Hotel & Spa, AngleseyWhy It's Special: This country house hotel on Anglesey offers a Welsh spa retreat in a historic setting. The spa includes a thermal suite, a relaxation pool, and a variety of treatments. The hotel's peaceful ambiance and lush gardens create a serene spa atmosphere, making it one of the top spa hotels in Wales.
10. Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, CaerphillyWhy It's Special: Perfect for golf enthusiasts, this spa hotel features an 18-hole golf course along with a modern spa. The spa includes relaxation rooms, a thermal suite, and a selection of treatments, making it an excellent choice for a spa and golf getaway in Wales.
11. The Metropole Hotel & Spa, Llandrindod WellsWhy It's Special: Nestled in the heart of Wales, The Metropole Hotel & Spa offers a traditional spa experience with a contemporary touch. Its spa includes an indoor pool, sauna, steam room, and various treatments. The spa hotel's central location allows for easy exploration of the surrounding Welsh countryside, making it one of the standout spa hotels in Wales.
12. Holm House, PenarthWhy It's Special: Last on our list of the best spa hotels in Wales is Holm House, located in the seaside town of Penarth near Cardiff. This top Wales spa retreat offers a boutique spa experience with picturesque sea views and luxury ELEMIS products. The Welsh spa retreat features a hydrotherapy pool, sauna, and a range of indulgent treatments that will leave you feeling like a whole new person. The intimate and elegant setting of Holm House makes it an ideal choice for a spa retreat by the coast, adding to the variety of spa hotels in Wales.
What else should I do on my Wales spa weekend?While indulging in spa relaxation is a highlight of your Wales getaway, there's so much more to explore and enjoy in this beautiful country. Here are some notable attractions and activities to consider during your visit:
- Explore Snowdonia National Park: If you're a nature enthusiast, embark on a hiking adventure in Snowdonia National Park. Climb Mount Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales, or take a leisurely stroll through its stunning landscapes, valleys, and lakes.
- Discover Cardiff: Wales' capital city, Cardiff, offers a mix of cultural and historic attractions. Visit Cardiff Castle, explore the interactive exhibitions at the National Museum Cardiff, and stroll through the beautiful Bute Park.
- Castles and History: Wales is famous for its medieval castles. Don't miss the chance to explore historic sites like Conwy Castle, Caerphilly Castle, and the enchanting ruins of Tintern Abbey.
- Coastal Walks: Wales has a magnificent coastline with many picturesque walks. The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park offers breathtaking coastal trails and opportunities for birdwatching.
- Welsh Cuisine: When in Wales, don't miss the chance to sample traditional dishes like Welsh lamb, bara brith (a fruitcake), and laverbread (seaweed delicacy). Visit local pubs and restaurants to sample regional cuisine.
- Brecon Beacons: For a serene escape, head to the Brecon Beacons National Park. Enjoy leisurely walks, horse riding, and stargazing in this dark sky reserve.
- Beaches: Wales boasts some beautiful beaches, including Rhossili Bay on the Gower Peninsula, known for its sweeping sands and stunning vistas.
- Steam Railways: Take a nostalgic journey on one of Wales' historic steam railways, such as the Ffestiniog Railway or the Brecon Mountain Railway.
- Cultural Festivals: Check out if any cultural festivals or events are happening during your visit. From music festivals to local fairs, Wales often hosts vibrant celebrations.
- Art and Crafts: Explore Wales' vibrant arts scene by visiting galleries and craft shops, where you can find unique souvenirs and handmade crafts.