The 12 Best Destinations for Couples in the UK
Sun November 19,2023
Why Choose the UK for Your Next Romantic GetawayBefore we dive into our list of the most romantic places in the UK, let's talk about why a UK vacation is the perfect choice for your next romantic escape:
- Rich History and Culture: The UK boasts a wealth of historical and cultural treasures, from medieval castles to world-class museums and theaters. Exploring these sites together can deepen your connection and create lasting memories.
- Scenic Countryside and Romantic Landscapes: The UK's countryside is dotted with picturesque landscapes, serene lakes, and rolling hills. Whether you're strolling through the Lake District, hiking in the Scottish Highlands, or picnicking in the Cotswolds, you'll find breathtaking natural beauty perfect for romantic moments.
- Charming Villages and Quaint Towns: Discover charming villages with cobblestone streets, thatched cottages, and cozy tearooms. Exploring these quaint locales hand in hand can evoke a sense of intimacy and nostalgia.
- Culinary Delights: The UK offers a diverse culinary scene, from traditional pub fare to Michelin-starred restaurants. Sharing delicious meals and trying local specialties like fish and chips or afternoon tea can be a delightful part of your romantic journey.
- Easy Accessibility: The UK is easily accessible for Americans, with direct flights from major US cities to London and other UK airports. There's no need to worry about long-haul flights or language barriers, making it a convenient choice for a romantic getaway.
The 12 Most Romantic Places in the UK
1. The Lake District, CumbriaNestled in the heart of the Lake District, Cumbria offers a romantic escape like no other. With its serene lakes, rolling hills, and cosy cottages, it's a paradise for nature-loving couples making it one of the most romantic places in the UK. Take a leisurely boat ride on Lake Windermere, go hiking hand in hand through lush forests, and warm up by the fireplace in a charming country inn. The Lake District's stunning landscapes provide a backdrop for romantic picnics and long walks, while its quaint villages like Ambleside and Grasmere offer opportunities for intimate dinners. Whether you're exploring the region's literary history, with ties to Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter, or simply immersing yourselves in the breathtaking natural beauty, Cumbria sets the stage for a truly romantic UK vacation.
2. Edinburgh, ScotlandScotland's capital city, Edinburgh, is a haven for history buffs and lovers alike. Stroll through the cobbled streets of the Old Town, visit the majestic Edinburgh Castle, and enjoy a romantic evening at the Royal Mile, where street performers add to the atmosphere. The city's rich history and stunning architecture make it a perfect backdrop for romantic walks and photo opportunities. For a unique experience, take a hike up Arthur's Seat, an ancient volcano, to enjoy panoramic views of the city. Don't forget to try a traditional Scottish meal together, complete with haggis, neeps, and tatties, followed by a whisky tasting to warm your hearts. With its blend of culture, history, and scenic beauty, Edinburgh is a must-visit destination for couples in search of romance.
3. Bath, SomersetNext on our list of the most romantic places in the UK is Bath in Somerset. Bath is a city exuding elegance and romance making it perfect for your next couple's trip. Its Georgian architecture and natural hot springs create an enchanting ambiance that's perfect for couples looking for a romantic escape. A must-visit attraction is the Thermae Bath Spa, where you can relax in the warm, mineral-rich waters of the rooftop pool while enjoying panoramic views of the city's historic skyline. The Roman Baths, a well-preserved ancient bathing and socializing complex, provide a fascinating glimpse into the city's past. Take a leisurely walk along the picturesque Pulteney Bridge, lined with quaint shops and cafes, or explore the city's charming streets hand in hand. Bath's timeless charm and the soothing influence of its thermal waters make it a perfect destination for a romantic UK trip.
4. The Cotswolds, EnglandWhen planning your next romantic UK vacation, consider escaping to the idyllic Cotswolds, a region known for its honey-hued stone cottages, rolling countryside, and quintessential English charm. This Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is a haven for couples seeking a romantic place in the UK for their next holiday. Imagine picnicking in one of the charming villages, where the streets are lined with picturesque cottages and flower-filled gardens. Explore quaint towns like Bourton-on-the-Water, often referred to as the 'Venice of the Cotswolds,' and enjoy the gentle flow of the River Windrush as you stroll hand in hand. After a day of exploration, unwind in a cosy tearoom, savouring traditional afternoon tea with freshly baked scones and clotted cream. The Cotswolds' timeless beauty and peaceful atmosphere make it an enchanting destination for couples seeking a quintessentially English romantic UK vacation.
5. The Isle of Skye, ScotlandFor a remote and breathtakingly beautiful romantic retreat, head to the Isle of Skye in Scotland. This rugged and unspoiled Scottish island offers couples an opportunity to connect with nature while taking in the splendours of its dramatic landscapes. One of the highlights is the Fairy Pools, a series of crystal-clear, turquoise-hued pools and waterfalls surrounded by stunning mountain scenery. The Old Man of Storr, an iconic rocky pinnacle, beckons adventurous couples to hike together and witness the mesmerising views. After a day of exploration, return to your charming cottage, perhaps with a cosy fireplace, and watch the mesmerising Northern Lights illuminate the night sky. The Isle of Skye's wild beauty and secluded atmosphere easily make it one of the most romantic places in the UK for couples seeking an unforgettable escape from the buzz of modern day living.
6. The Peak District, DerbyshireThe Peak District, located in Derbyshire, offers a romantic UK escape amid rugged landscapes and picturesque villages. Couples will find plenty of opportunities to connect with nature (and eachother) while exploring this stunning national park. A visit to Mam Tor, also known as the 'Shivering Mountain,' is a must. Hike together to the summit, where you'll be rewarded with panoramic views of rolling hills and charming villages below. The landscape is especially enchanting during sunset or sunrise, making it a perfect backdrop for a romantic moment. Once you've finished soaking up the incredible nature, visit charming market towns like Bakewell, known for its famous Bakewell Tart, or enjoy a leisurely bike ride along the picturesque Tissington Trail. The Peak District's natural beauty and tranquil surroundings make it an ideal UK vacation for couples seeking both adventure and romance.
7. Cornwall, EnglandCornwall, located in the southwestern part of England, offers a stunning coastline and sandy beaches that create a perfect backdrop for a romantic escape. This picturesque county is a haven for couples seeking to unwind and connect with each other. Visit St. Ives, known for its art galleries and scenic beaches. Explore the winding streets hand in hand and discover charming boutiques and seafood restaurants. Take a romantic walk along the coastal path, where you'll be treated to breathtaking views of the rugged cliffs and the azure sea. Cornwall's natural beauty and coastal charm make it a delightful destination for couples in search of a romantic seaside getaway.
8. The Scottish HighlandsAt number eight on our list of the most romantic places in the UK is the breathtaking Scottish Highlands. This sprawling Scottish region offer a wild and rugged beauty that's perfect for adventurous couples seeking a romantic escape. This remote Scottish region is characterised by its dramatic landscapes, historic castles, and serene lochs. We recommend booking a hotel in Inverness, the capital of the Highlands, so you can easily reach the Scottish Islands (like the Isle of Skye mentioned above) and all of the top Highland tourist attractions. When staying in this romantic UK location be sure to explore the hauntingly beautiful Glencoe Valley, where you can take a scenic hike and admire the towering peaks that surround you. The Highlands are also home to some of Scotland's finest whisky distilleries, making it an ideal destination for a romantic whisky tasting tour in Speyside. For a quiet and intimate moment, find a spot by the tranquil waters of Loch Ness, where you can share stories and gaze at the mirror-like surface, hoping to catch a glimpse of the elusive Loch Ness Monster.
9. Stratford-upon-Avon, WarwickshireStratford-upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare, exudes romance and history, making it an ideal destination for couples seeking a cultural and romantic experience. This charming market town is steeped in literary heritage and boasts a picturesque setting along the River Avon. Begin your visit by exploring Anne Hathaway's Cottage, the historic home of Shakespeare's wife. Take a leisurely stroll through the town's picturesque streets, lined with Tudor-style buildings and quaint shops. No visit to Stratford-upon-Avon would be complete without attending a play at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. Share a romantic evening enjoying the works of the Bard in a truly historic setting. Finish your romantic UK vacation by taking a romantic boat ride along the gentle waters of the River Avon, creating a moment of tranquility and connection with your loved one. Stratford-upon-Avon's timeless charm and literary significance make it a perfect destination for couples.
10. The New Forest, HampshireEscape to the New Forest, a charming region in Hampshire known for its ancient woodlands, wildlife, and tranquility. Couples seeking a romantic UK vacation in nature will find this idyllic region perfect for bonding and relaxation. Walk together through ancient woodlands, where dappled sunlight filters through the trees, creating a magical atmosphere. The New Forest is home to a variety of wildlife, including ponies, deer, and a plethora of bird species, providing plenty of opportunities for wildlife spotting together. For an extra dose of romance, enjoy a horseback ride through the forest trails, exploring the picturesque landscapes while creating lasting memories. The New Forest's serene beauty and peaceful ambiance make it a wonderful retreat for couples looking to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life on romantic weekend getaway or longer trip.
11. The Scottish BordersThe Scottish Borders, a region steeped in history and natural beauty, is a top romantic destination waiting to be explored. It offers a blend of historic charm, scenic landscapes, and charming market towns. Start your journey by visiting romantic abbeys like Melrose Abbey, where the picturesque ruins provide an enchanting backdrop for a leisurely stroll with your loved one. Explore the market town of Kelso, with its cobbled streets and traditional Scottish architecture, where you can enjoy a romantic lunch in a quaint café. For a scenic drive, follow the Tweed Valley route, where you'll be treated to breathtaking vistas of rolling hills and the meandering River Tweed. The Scottish Borders' historic allure and serene countryside make it a wonderful destination for couples seeking a romantic and peaceful escape.
12. The Jurassic Coast, DorsetLast on our list of the UK's most romantic places is the Jurassic Coast in Dorset. The Jurassic Coast offers a dramatic and romantic coastal escape with its stunning cliffs and picturesque beaches. This World Heritage Site is a captivating destination for couples seeking to connect with nature and each other. One of the highlights is the iconic Durdle Door, a natural limestone arch set against the backdrop of turquoise waters. Explore this stunning landmark hand in hand, taking in the awe-inspiring scenery. Fossil hunting is a popular activity on Charmouth Beach, where you can search for ancient treasures together, creating a sense of adventure and exploration. As evening falls, enjoy a romantic seafood dinner at the Poole Arms, all while taking in the soothing sound of the ocean waves - what could be more romantic than that?
Choose the UK for Your Next Couples HolidayNow that you're convinced, we've taken you on a journey through the 12 most romantic places in the UK. From the serene lakes of the Lake District to the historic charm of Stratford-upon-Avon and the dramatic beauty of the Jurassic Coast, the United Kingdom offers a diverse range of romantic experiences. Whether you're exploring literary heritage, hiking in the wilderness, or simply enjoying a tranquil moment by the sea, the UK has something special to offer every couple. So, why wait? Start planning your next romantic getaway to the United Kingdom, where unforgettable moments and cherished memories await. Discover the magic of the UK with your loved one and create a love story that will last a lifetime.
Give the Gift of Romantic Getaways with Our Gift Vouchers for HotelsWhile we've shared with you the 12 most romantic places in the UK, we understand that sometimes the best gift is the freedom to choose your own destination. That's where our hotel gift vouchers come in, making for the perfect present for your loved one needing a time away at a comfortable hotel in the UK or abroad. Why You Need To Buy Hotel Vouchers:
- Flexibility: Our gift vouchers for hotels offer the ultimate flexibility to your recipient. When you buy a hotel voucher for them, they choose exactly how they wish to use their credits, from a wide range of hotels in the UK or abroad. Have they always dreamed about a break in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester or London? Or have they been dreaming of jetting off to the likes of , our hotel vouchers give them the ultimate freedom. They can also choose from tons of dog-friendly, spa, airport, sustainable and luxury accommodation options so their hotel stay can be completely tailored to their preferences and travel needs.
- Completely User-Friendly: Purchasing and redeeming our gift vouchers for hotels is a breeze. You can conveniently buy them online, choose from 3 delivery options and your loved one can easily redeem them online when booking their dream getaway. And if they're struggling with any part of our process, they can contact our incredible customer service team who are available 24/7.
- Personalisation: Add a sentimental touch by including a heartfelt message and personal photo when gifting the voucher, making it a cherished and thoughtful present and far beyond your average gift voucher.
- Valid for 2 Years: Our hotel vouchers are valid for 2 whole years, allowing your recipient to plan their next getaway at their own pace and when the time is right for them.