The 10 Best Places to Visit in Autumn in the UK
Autumn has once again graced the UK with its vibrant palette of colours, cool breezes, and a sense of enchantment. As we step into the autumn of 2023, we invite you to explore the 10 best places to visit in Autumn in the UK. Whether you’re seeking picturesque landscapes, charming villages, or urban escapes, this hand-picked guide will be your autumn compass.
Why You Should Treat Yourself to a UK Staycation this Autumn
Before we delve into the enchanting destinations, let’s consider why a UK staycation in autumn is the perfect choice. Autumn, with its crisp air and a symphony of colours, brings a unique charm to the British landscape:
- Vibrant Scenery: The UK’s parks, woodlands, and countryside explode in a burst of reds, oranges, and golds. In Autumn in the UK, you can experience the beauty of nature’s transformation firsthand.
- Milder Weather: Autumn offers comfortable temperatures for outdoor exploration without the summer crowds making it an ideal time for leisurely strolls and outdoor activities.
- Cultural Riches: The UK’s cultural scene comes alive in autumn with festivals, theatre productions, and art exhibitions. Immerse yourself in the country’s artistic heritage.
- Cosy Retreats: Autumn is the season of cosy comforts. Enjoy evenings by the fire in charming inns, and savour hearty, seasonal cuisine.
- Less Crowded: Many tourist hotspots are less crowded in the autumn months, allowing for a more peaceful and intimate experience.
Now, let’s explore our 10 handpicked UK autumn destinations that showcase the best of the UK during this magical season:
The 10 Best Places to Visit in Autumn in the UK
1. Cotswolds: A Symphony of Autumn Colours
About the Cotswolds: The Cotswolds, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, is a stunning region of rolling hills, charming villages, and historic towns. In autumn, the landscape comes alive with vibrant colours as maple trees burst into fiery hues. Explore enchanting villages and visit the illustrious Blenheim Palace, particularly stunning during this season.
Recommended Hotel: The Lygon Arms, a historic inn nestled in the heart of the Cotswolds, offering cosy rooms and fine dining.
2. Bristol: Where Nature Meets Urban Splendour
Next on our list of the best places to visit in Autumn in the UK is Bristol. This vibrant city in southwest England, offers spellbinding walks amidst tree-lined boulevards and iconic skylines. As the days grow shorter, the leaves transform into a majestic mosaic of red and yellow, providing a dramatic backdrop to your adventures. Discover the romantic spots along the Harbourside, where you can enjoy a serene walk hand in hand with your partner. Visit the Clifton Suspension Bridge for stunning views of the Avon Gorge and Bristol. Explore the historic Bristol Old City on a guided tour for a taste of the city’s rich heritage.
Recommended Hotel: Radisson Blu Hotel, Bristol, located in the city centre with stylish rooms and stunning views of Bristol’s harbour.
3. Oxford: A Photographic Wonderland
Oxford, known for its prestigious university, is picturesque year-round, but it undergoes a mesmerising transformation during autumn. Mid-October blesses the city with spectacular lighting, with red maple leaves set against a golden backdrop. Cosy cafes invite you to savour a cup of cocoa or hot chocolate. Stroll through the enchanting Botanic Garden and capture the red maple leaves against the backdrop of the Oxford skyline. Enjoy a peaceful afternoon in the beautiful Oxford University Parks.
Recommended Hotel: Old Parsonage Hotel, a boutique hotel in Oxford’s city centre, combining modern comfort with historic charm.
4. Kent: Nature’s Abundance and Delectable Delights
In Southeast England, Kent beckons with its bountiful nature. Join a truffle hunting expedition in the stunning countryside near Canterbury. Visit Biddenden Vineyards for a wine-tasting experience amid the autumn vines. Explore the scenic village of Tenterden, known for its picturesque high street.
Recommended Hotel: Chilston Park Hotel, a country house hotel set amidst lush gardens, providing a serene retreat.
5. Nottingham: Autumn Adventures Await
For an autumn trip filled with adventure, consider exploring Nottingham in early November. Indulge in comfort food, embark on long walks through rustling leaves, and celebrate the Bramley Apple Festival in Southwell. Why not take a private walking tour of the historic Lace Market district with a knowledgeable guide before exploring the ancient Sherwood Forest and its legendary Major Oak. Enjoy traditional comfort food and local ales at Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, one of England’s oldest pubs.
Recommended Hotel: Hart’s Hotel, a stylish boutique hotel in Nottingham’s historic Lace Market district.
6. Inverness: Scottish Highlands in Autumn Glory
Venture further north to Inverness, where the Scottish Highlands come alive in autumn glory. The rugged landscapes and shimmering lochs provide a breathtaking backdrop for your adventures. Take a scenic drive along the North Coast 500, explore ancient castles, and immerse yourself in the rich Scottish culture.
Recommended Hotel: Kingsmills Hotel, an elegant hotel set against the backdrop of the Scottish Highlands.
7. Pitlochry: A Highland Gem in Autumn
Pitlochry, nestled in the heart of Perthshire, is a Highland gem that shines even brighter in autumn. The surrounding forests burst into a symphony of colors, making it an ideal destination for leaf peeping. Don’t miss a visit to the picturesque Loch Faskally and the famous Pitlochry Festival Theatre.
Recommended Hotel: Fonab Castle Hotel & Spa, a luxurious castle hotel with breathtaking views of Loch Faskally.
8. North Berwick: Coastal Charm in Autumn
For a coastal escape, head to North Berwick on the east coast of Scotland. The seaside town offers scenic beaches, charming streets, and stunning views of the Firth of Forth. Take a bracing walk along the beach, explore the ruins of Tantallon Castle, and savour fresh seafood at top local eateries.
Recommended Hotel: Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa, a seaside hotel offering relaxation and stunning coastal vistas.
9. Snowdonia, Wales: Majestic Autumn Mountains
In autumn, Snowdonia, Wales, offers more than just scenic hikes and picturesque Betws-y-Coed. Experience the thrill of Zip World Velocity, the world’s fastest zip line, or savor the tranquility of Swallow Falls. Explore the history of slate mining at Llechwedd Slate Caverns, take nostalgic steam train rides, and wander through the autumnal beauty of Bodnant Garden. Don’t miss the chance to sample traditional Welsh cuisine, including the famed Welsh lamb. And as an official Dark Sky Reserve, Snowdonia provides a stellar backdrop for autumn stargazing.
10. Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland: Natural Wonders in Autumn
In Northern Ireland, autumn unveils a range of attractions beyond the stunning Giant’s Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. Explore the mythical landscapes of the Dark Hedges, made famous by Game of Thrones. Dive into the history of Bushmills Distillery and enjoy a taste of its renowned whiskey. Discover the historic Dunluce Castle perched dramatically on the cliffs. For a scenic escape, visit the serene Mussenden Temple, offering breathtaking views of the North Coast. Autumn is also an excellent time for coastal walks, seafood dining, and exploring charming towns like Bushmills and Portrush.
Recommended Hotel: Causeway Hotel, Bushmills – A charming hotel nestled on the edge of the Causeway Coastal Route, providing comfortable accommodations and stunning views of the Giant’s Causeway.
Treat Someone to a Memorable Autumn Getaway with a Hotel Voucher
After exploring these captivating autumn destinations in the UK, why not brighten someone’s day by gifting them a night at a Hotelgift-recommended hotel in any of these locations and many more across the UK and abroad with a personalised hotel voucher?
Why Choose Hotelgift?
- Easy Personalisation: With Hotelgift, you can create a personalised hotel voucher with a special photo and message in just a few clicks! Meaning you can give a unique and thoughtful gift in an easy and convenient way.
- Convenient Delivery Options: Select from three convenient options for your voucher: an animated eGift sent via email, a physical hotel voucher, or PDF that you can print at home and give to your loved one in person.
- Incredible Choice of Hotels: A hotel voucher not only helps your loved one discover the best places to visit in autumn in the UK but also provides access to a wide range of accommodations all over the world. From airport hotels, haunted hotels to dog-friendly hotels, a hotel voucher guarantees incredible new memories in unbeatable locations.
How to Buy a Hotel Voucher
Buying a hotel voucher from Hotelgift is a breeze. Visit their website, choose your preferred voucher type, personalise it in just a few steps, and select from various denominations. Your loved one can then use the hotel voucher to book a stay at thousands of hotels in the UK or abroad. So why not make this autumn unforgettable for someone special by giving a hotel voucher and allow them to create cherished memories in the most picturesque destinations?
Which UK destination will you visit this Autumn?
As we embrace autumn in 2023, these 10 handpicked UK Autumn destinations offer the perfect canvas for unforgettable experiences. From the Cotswolds’ tranquil beauty to Bristol’s urban charm, Oxford’s photographic wonders, Kent’s natural abundance, Nottingham’s adventurous spirit, Inverness’s Scottish Highlands grandeur, Pitlochry’s Highland allure, North Berwick’s coastal charm, and more, each place has its own autumn story to tell. Wherever you choose, you’ll have heaps of fun Autumn activities to choose from! And if you feel like venturing further afield to embrace the season, why not try France or Amsterdam?