The 10 Best Zante Beaches According to Locals
Wed 12 July 2023
The 10 Best Zante Beaches1. Shipwreck Beach (Navagio) Prepare to be blown away by the awe-inspiring beauty of Shipwreck Beach, lovingly known as Navagio. If not the most famous Zante beach, it's guaranteed to impress. Think pebble shores nestled between majestic cliffs, and waters so blue that you'll think you're in the Caribbean. Navagio Beach gets its name from the shipwreck of MV Panagiotis, a smuggler's vessel that found its final resting place here in 1980.
How to get to Shipwreck BeachYou can only reach this secluded paradise by boat, so grab a spot on one of the many tourist boats or channel your inner explorer and set sail on your own motorboat. The best part? That way you'll have this remote slice of heaven all to yourself. Yet, it's important to note that Shipwreck Beach has gained popularity over the years, and during peak tourist seasons, it can get crowded with visitors. If you prefer a quieter experience, it's best to plan your visit during the early morning or late afternoon when the crowds are typically smaller.
How long should I stay on Shipwreck Beach?As for the ideal duration to spend at Shipwreck Beach, it depends on your preferences and how much time you have. Many tourists opt for a day trip so that they can fully immerse themselves in the beauty of the beach, take stunning photographs, and enjoy a leisurely swim. If you're into photography, you might want to spend extra time there since there's so much breathtaking scenery to capture. And who wants to rush about on holiday anyway? Greece is the place for deep rest and relaxation.
2. Banana BeachCalling all sun worshippers and beach bums! Banana Beach is your ultimate dream come true. This expansive Zante beach offers a sun-soaked haven where you can spend your day lazily moving between two heavenly spots: your comfy sun lounger and the refreshing turquoise waters. Oh, and don't forget to make a pit stop at the picturesque beach bar at the end of the shore. Sipping on a cool drink while soaking up the summer vibes will make your holiday complete. Banana Beach offers a more relaxed and laid-back vibe compared to a party atmosphere. So it's an ideal spot for those looking to unwind, soak up the sun, and enjoy a peaceful beach day. How long should I stay on Banana Beach? If you're in the mood for lounging, dedicate a full day to Banana Beach and embrace the tranquillity of this beautiful Zakynthos beach. Lay back on a comfortable sun lounger, read a book, take refreshing dips in the crystal-clear waters, or simply bask in the warm sunshine. It's the perfect place to disconnect from the outside world and let time slow down.
3. Porto Azzuro BeachPrepare to be transported into a fairytale as you set foot on Porto Azzuro beach. Nestled amidst greenery with magnificent rock formations and waters so blue they'll make your heart flutter, this beach is straight out of a picture-perfect postcard. During the day, bask in the sun's warm embrace, take a dip in the crystal-clear waters, and let your worries drift away. But hold onto your beach hats because when the sun sets, Porto Azzuro transforms into the ultimate party hub! The beach bars here are renowned for hosting unforgettable island parties that will have you dancing under the stars until the break of dawn. 4. Agios Nikolaos Beach Next on our beach extravaganza is the charming Agios Nikolaos beach. Located right next to Banana Beach, this delightful spot offers golden sands, shallow waters, and a picture-perfect setting for sun-seeking families and couples alike. Grab a sun lounger, feel the soft sand between your toes, and let the worries of the world melt away as you soak up the glorious Greek sunshine.
What activities are there on Agios Nikolaos beach?
- Swimming and sunbathing: Take a dip in the calm waters and soak up the warm Greek sunshine while enjoying the picturesque surroundings.
- Beachside dining: Enjoy fresh seafood, traditional Greek dishes and refreshing cocktails at the beachside tavernas and cafes.
- Water sports: For those seeking a bit of excitement, Agios Nikolaos offers various water sports activities. Try kayaking, paddle-boarding, or even rent a pedal boat to explore the sparkling waters.
- Snorkeling and diving: Discover the underwater wonders of Agios Nikolaos by snorkeling or diving. The clear waters provide excellent visibility, allowing you to observe colorful marine life and vibrant coral reefs.
- Boat trips and excursions: Consider taking a boat trip or excursion from Agios Nikolaos to explore nearby attractions. Visit nearby islands, secluded coves, or even take a tour to witness the famous Blue Caves.
5. Gerakas BeachFor nature enthusiasts seeking tranquility, Gerakas Beach is an absolute must-visit when enjoying a holiday to Zante. This serene haven is often frequented by sea turtles, particularly hawksbill turtles that nest here. If you're lucky, you might even see turtle hatchlings making their way to sea. The large bay offers excellent swimming and sunbathing opportunities, with sun chairs and umbrellas available.
6. Tsilivi BeachTsilivi, also known as Planos, is a well-known resort that combines beach with city hustle and bustle. Situated near the capital city of Bochali, this resort offers a beach experience like no other. Picture yourself lounging under the sun, feeling the sand between your toes, and taking refreshing dips in the turquoise waters. And when the evening arrives, get ready to unleash your party spirit and experience the wild nightlife that Zante is renowned for. Tsilivi is the place where the beach meets the party buzz.
7. Marathonisi BeachYearning for a peaceful and secluded retreat? Look no further than Marathonisi. This small island is an oasis of tranquility, perfect for those seeking a quiet and serene environment. Hop on a short boat ride from Keri beach in Laganas bay, and you'll find yourself surrounded by untouched natural beauty. The lush greenery and pristine shores create an idyllic setting that's straight out of a dream. Just a heads up, though: there are no shops on the island, so make sure to bring your own food and drink.
8. Ksigia Beach
Ready for a unique and rejuvenating experience? Head to Ksigia, a renowned natural seaside resort located about 20 kilometres north of Zakynthos. What makes this beach truly special is its curious white waters, known for their healing properties due to the high sulfur content. Yes, you might catch a whiff of sulfur, but don't let that deter you! Embrace the uniqueness and indulge in this natural spa experience. Trust me, the relaxation you'll feel is worth it, and the memories you'll create will be unforgettable.