The 8 Most Romantic Cities in the Netherlands
Wed 27 September 2023
Why you should book a romantic getawayLife can often become a whirlwind of responsibilities, work commitments, and daily routines. But it's crucial to step back and reconnect with your other half, especially when searching for romantic places in the Netherlands. We all know how important it is to nurture our relationships, and one of the best ways to do that is by carving out quality time on a romantic couple's holiday. Taking a break from the daily grind and immersing ourselves in a new environment allows us to:
- Get to know more about each other
- Create a stronger bond
The 8 Most Romantic Cities in the Netherlands
1. AmsterdamAmsterdam may seem like an obvious choice for a romantic holiday to the Netherlands, but trust us, it's worth it. In Amsterdam, you can easily absorb the romantic side of this vibrant city by visiting the newly renovated A'DAM Tower where you can enjoy dinner with a panoramic view of the city, and for an extra touch of whimsy, swing together on the highest swing in the Netherlands overlooking the picturesque IJ River. Other romantic activities include evening canal cruises, renting bikes and sharing a traditional Dutch apple pie. For a peaceful escape from the city's hustle and bustle, take a romantic walk through the Amsterdamse Bos (Amsterdam Forest). Keep an eye out for organised walks, such as sunrise or moonlit strolls for an alternative Amsterdam experience.
2. MaastrichtMaastricht, known for its delicious Dutch cuisine, is the perfect Dutch city for couples seeking a romantic getaway. Start your journey at the renowned Vrijthof Square, where the ambience is nothing short of magical. From Andre Rieu's enchanting performances to the annual Christmas market, every moment spent here will deepen your bond. Embrace adventure by exploring the Sint-Pietersberg caves on foot or, for a more thrilling experience, opt for a guided scooter tour through the 30-meter-deep underground wonderland.
3. The Wadden IslandsFor a unique Dutch trip, look no further than the Wadden Islands. Whether you're drawn to the lively atmosphere of Texel or prefer the tranquillity of the other islands, the journey alone will make you feel like you've escaped from reality. Couples can stay in the quaint villages and enjoy the breathtaking natural beauty that envelops these islands, providing the perfect backdrop for a romantic weekend away. During your stay, engage in activities that will strengthen your bond as a couple. Unwind at a wellness centre or embark on a leisurely bike ride to explore the picturesque landscapes.
4. UtrechtUtrecht, affectionately known as the Domstad, is a stunning and romantic city that should not be overlooked. Explore the city's architectural wonders and relish in its vibrant culinary scene by embarking on a delightful city walk. Here are some recommendations to make your visit unforgettable:
- Climb the Utrechtse Dom: Challenge yourselves by ascending the Dom Tower, the city's centrepiece with a rich history. You can now choose to take the elevator up, but for the full experience, climbing the stairs is a must.
- Cruise the Utrecht Canals: Don't assume canal tours are only available in Amsterdam as Utrecht offers charming canal boat tours too. Discover hidden restaurants and inviting terraces as you drift along the serene canals.
5. HaarlemNo list of romantic Dutch cities would be complete without mentioning Haarlem, often referred to as the sister city of Amsterdam. This romantic Dutch city offers the perfect setting for a romantic weekend escape. Not only is it easily accessible and budget-friendly, but it also boasts a unique charm that will captivate your heart. In Haarlem, you can enjoy tons of romantic activities that cater to every couple's preferences. Here are some recommendations to make your romantic getaway truly special:
- The Jopenkerk: Begin your adventure by visiting the Jopenkerk, where you can indulge in the finest craft beers and enjoy a delicious dinner together. If you plan to dine here, be sure to book in advance.
- Hofjesroute: Haarlem is famous for its historic hofjes, charming inner courtyards surrounded by small houses. Take a self-guided tour along the Hofjesroute and immerse yourselves in the rich history of Haarlem. Note that access to all courtyards may not be possible, so consider booking a guided tour for a more in-depth experience.
- Beachside Bliss: Haarlem is conveniently located near the stunning beaches of Bloemendaal and Zandvoort. Hop in a car or, if you have bicycles, enjoy a scenic ride to the coast. Take a leisurely stroll along the beach, savouring the salty breeze, and treat yourselves to a delightful meal or drinks at one of the cozy beach clubs. Even in winter, you can find some beachfront venues open, such as De Haven van Zandvoort or NIUS Beachhouse.
6. LeidenNext on our list of the most romantic Dutch cities is Leiden. Spoiled with rich cultural heritage and stunning canals, Leiden offers a romantic escape for couples looking to explore Dutch history and architecture. Here are some enchanting experiences to share in Leiden:
- Leiden Canals: Take a leisurely boat ride along the picturesque canals of Leiden. The tranquil waters and charming architecture will set the perfect mood for a romantic outing.
- Hortus Botanicus Leiden: Explore the beautiful botanical gardens of Hortus Botanicus Leiden. Stroll hand in hand through lush greenery and exotic flora, finding moments of serenity in this enchanting oasis.
- Rijksmuseum van Oudheden: Delve into the past at the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden, where you can discover ancient artefacts and archaeological treasures together. It's a fascinating journey through time that can spark interesting conversations between you and your partner.
7. DelftDelft, famous for its iconic blue and white pottery, provides a charming and intimate setting for couples placing it firmly on our list of the most romantic Dutch cities. This historical city is brimming with romantic activities:
- Vermeer Center Delft: Dive into the world of the renowned Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer at the Vermeer Center Delft. Admire his masterpieces and gain a deeper appreciation for art together.
- Delft Canals: Like many Dutch cities, Delft boasts scenic canals that are perfect for a romantic boat tour. Glide through the waterways while taking in the picturesque views of the city's architecture.
- Market Square: Explore the bustling Market Square of Delft, where you can shop for souvenirs, enjoy street performances, and try local treats at charming cafes.
8. GroningenLast on our list of the most romantic cities in Holland is Groningen, a vibrant university city in the north of the Netherlands. Here are some romantic experiences to enjoy in Groningen:
- Groninger Museum: Explore contemporary art and exhibitions at the Groninger Museum, known for its stunning architectural design. Wander through the galleries hand in hand, appreciating the beauty of art and each other's company.
- Noorderplantsoen Park: Escape to the tranquil Noorderplantsoen Park, a lush green oasis in the heart of Groningen. Pack a picnic and spend a romantic day lounging on the grass or taking a leisurely stroll through the park's scenic pathways.
- Martini Tower: Climb the iconic Martini Tower for panoramic views of the city. The ascent can be a bit challenging, but the breathtaking vistas from the top are well worth the effort. It's a memorable experience to share with your loved one.