The 8 Best US Christmas Markets
Thu 12 October 2023
The 5 Best US Winter Destinations for a Festive FeelWhile Christmas markets are undeniably magical, the United States offers a plethora of winter wonderlands that promise to add an extra layer of enchantment to your holiday season. Here are five top US winter destinations that will leave you spellbound and festive:
1. Aspen, ColoradoBlanketed in a glistening layer of snow, Aspen transforms into a picturesque winter paradise. With its charming alpine village, world-class skiing, and cosy fireside retreats, it's the perfect destination for those seeking both adventure and relaxation.
2. New York City, New YorkThe Big Apple becomes even more dazzling during the winter months. From the iconic Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree to the magical displays at Dyker Heights in Brooklyn, the city is alive with festive lights and holiday cheer. Ice skating in Central Park is a must!
3. Lake Tahoe, California/NevadaNestled in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Lake Tahoe is a dream for winter enthusiasts. Whether you're into skiing, snowboarding, or simply basking in the serene beauty of a snow-covered landscape, Lake Tahoe offers it all. Cosy cabins and lakeside resorts complete the experience.
4. Leavenworth, WashingtonThis charming Bavarian-style village tucked away in the Cascade Mountains is a US winter destination straight out of a storybook. The entire town is adorned with twinkling lights, and the streets are alive with holiday festivities. Don't miss the annual Christmas Lighting Festival!
5. Gatlinburg, TennesseeIf you're looking for a touch of southern charm with your winter holiday, Gatlinburg is the place to be. Nestled in the Great Smoky Mountains, this quaint town offers a unique blend of holiday spirit, complete with dazzling light displays and a charming downtown area. Each of these US winter destinations offers its own unique brand of Christmas magic, ensuring that your festive season is nothing short of extraordinary. Whether you're seeking adventure on the slopes, a romantic escape, or a family-friendly holiday, these winter wonderlands have something special in store for everyone
The 8 Best US Christmas Markets
Why You'll Fall in Love with US Christmas MarketsNow that you know the best US winter destinations for your Christmas holiday, we can unveil the best US Christmas markets to truly take your winter holiday up a gear. If you're someone who's inclined to stick to the tried-and-true German markets, we understand the hesitation. But let us assure you, US Christmas markets hold their own magic. These markets are a treasure trove of authentic experiences with an unmistakably American twist. They're a delightful alternative that promises to warm your heart, even on the coldest winter day. Note: Some of the following places will contain the name "Christkindl" in them. It doesn't mean they're part of a broader brand. The word "Christkindl" is the historical German word to refer to these markets.
1.Christkindlmarket - Chicago, ILStand under the winter Christmas sky, sip a warm drink, and enjoy thousands of twinkling lights at the Christkindlmarket in Chicago, Illinois. There's an abundance of family-friendly entertainment in this market, such as carol singing, dancing, and a Christmas orchestra. This event is also "blessed" by the presence of Christkind, the gift-bringer in Austrian folklore. Don't forget to do a round in their food court and taste their wide selection of German treats. Get the experience of a European Christmas market in Chicago.
2. The Great Dickens Christmas Fair - Daly City, CACharles Dickens once wrote, "There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humor". You will find that at the Great Dickens Fair in California, one of the largest Christmas markets in the US. Step out of the modern world and into a twilight evening in Victorian London, and celebrate Christmas like how it's supposed to be celebrated. Surround yourself with the comforting scent of roasted chestnut and the bustling noise of vendors hawking their wares. Best of all, there are costumed actors in traditional Victorian attire interacting with patrons in the most authentically British way. If you live in the US, come to this event for a taste of the European Christmas market. Just a 20-minute car ride away is the Fairmont Heritage Place, a luxury hotel that will complete your trip to California.
3. Christkindlmarkt - Anchorage, AKCome to Anchorage, Alaska for an authentically German Christmas market, hosted at the Rilke Schule German School. The organising committee imports handmade goods from Germany every year, from ornaments to unique gifts. Watch out because while St. Nikolaus will be there for the presents, Krampus, punisher of naughty children, will also be around. The best part of this event might be the hand-crafted Christmas decorations made by the students and their parents. Visit Alaska this wintertime, and support local artisans. Check out the Staybridge Suites for an amazing stay for this Christmas trip. Don't forget to book a trolley tour of Anchorage's leading cultural and historical sites. Trust us, Alaska is better in the winter.
4. Union Square Holiday Market - New York City, NYOnce a year, the Union Square Holiday Market returns to NYC for longing patrons. Named one of the best Christmas markets in the United States, the Union Square Market lives up to its reputation by offering visitors a wide variety of high-quality goods. From food to household appliances and decorations, this place has it all when it comes to Christmas. You can also find accessories and New York themed souvenirs here, as this pop-up market is famous for its collection of artisan shops. Find yourself a comfy rest at the Casablanca Hotel after a day out, and experience excellent New York hospitality, at its finest.
5. Atlanta Christkindl Market - Atlanta, GAWhen was the last time you had a picture with Santa? If the answer is "I can't remember", how about creating one at the Atlanta Christkindl market? Come to ATL for one of the most sparkling Christmas markets in the country, and experience Christmas as the Germans do. Chow down on savoury bratwursts and hearty pretzels, and sip on warm chocolate milk. There's so much to see and do here! After your feast, come back to the cozy atmosphere of Hotel Clermont, a stone's throw away from the market.
6. Denver Christkindlmarket - Denver COWhat makes the Denver Christkindlmarket stand out from the rest is the Mile High Tree, the tallest digital tree in America. With pixel-mapping technology, this tree is a spectacle for the eyes, especially during light shows. But there are other things the market has to offer. Come for live music, and a guided tour around Denver's most illustrious winter attractions. At the end of the street, find the Hyatt Regency Aurora. This hotel is an experience in itself, as they have all the amenities you will need for the season. Plus, its environmentally friendly accommodations allow you to enjoy your visit to the fullest.
7. Downtown Holiday Market - Washington DCGet straight into the Christmas spirit at the Downtown Holiday Market in Washington, DC. Here, hum along to classic Christmas carols with stellar musical performances, and bite into conventional (and unconventional) treats of the season. The vendors at this US Christmas market operate on a rotation basis, so you can always find something new if you return another day. Isn't it exciting? Submerge yourself in the shimmering lights, and feast your eyes with the colorful displays of the shops at this Christmas market. If you're looking for a perfect stay in DC, check out the Phoenix Park Hotel close by. With modern facilities such as a gym and a fantastic view of Capitol Hill, this hotel will add so many fond memories to your trip.
8. Kerstmarkt - Holland, MIWhile other markets take their names from the German word "Christkindlmarkt", Kerstmark took theirs from the Dutch one. Dutch Americans founded Holland, Michigan, and they've done much to keep the tradition alive. Enjoy unique Dutch street food at this market, such as the stroopwafels (syrup waffles), and immerse yourself in the Christmas traditions of the Netherlands. Popular attractions include hand-carved clogs, symbolic Dutch-style architecture, and Sinterklaas (Santa Claus). Another thing you can't miss while in this region of Michigan is the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. Affordable and scenic, this hotel is an excellent pick for your trip to the Midwestern parts of the US. Visiting US Christmas markets are an endearing tradition that warms up the hearts of many. As the days grow darker faster, fill them up with quintessential wintertime experiences like visiting a Christmas fair on this list, hiking, or ice skating! If you decide to come to the US this season, check out our list of hotels that will complete your travel experience.
Hotel Vouchers: The Ultimate Christmas Gift for Travel EnthusiastsThe holiday season is upon us, and what better way to spread cheer than by giving the gift of a memorable getaway? Here's why you should buy a hotel voucher for the travel lovers in your life, or anyone in need of some well-deserved relaxation:
- Flexibility at its Finest: When you buy a hotel voucher you offer unparalleled flexibility. Recipients have the freedom to choose when and where they want to escape to, making it an ideal gift for those with busy schedules or uncertain travel plans.
- Curated Experiences: Whether it's a European ski resort, a beachside retreat, or a bustling city escape, when you buy a hotel voucher it allows the recipient to tailor their stay to their specific preferences. It's a gift that promises a personalized and unforgettable experience.
- Budget-Friendly: With a hotel voucher, you can set the budget that suits you best. Whether you're looking to provide a lavish escape or a comfortable, budget-friendly option, there are options to cater to every wallet.
- Ease of Purchase: In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, convenience is key. Buying a hotel voucher is a breeze. With just a few clicks, you can secure a hotel gift that will be cherished for years to come
- A Versatile Present for Any Occasion: A hotel voucher is not only a fantastic Christmas gift but also a wonderful option for birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, or any special occasion. It's a versatile present that suits any celebration.
- Encourages Much-Needed Downtime: In today's fast-paced world, the gift of relaxation is priceless. A hotel voucher provides the opportunity for a well-deserved break, allowing the recipient to unwind, recharge, and create cherished memories.
- Supports Local Businesses: By choosing to buy a hotel voucher, you're also supporting local hotels and the communities they operate in. It's a gift that has a positive impact beyond the recipient's experience.