The Best Destinations to Go to in Autumn in France
With orange and red trees, milder temperatures and fewer people, traveling in autumn is a great way to discover France and its regions. What’s more, prices are often much more affordable. So what are you waiting for to book a weekend or a longer stay in Europe? Here are 5 ideas of destinations to go to in France in autumn, from September to November.
The Wine Route, Alsace
170 km of roads, picturesque villages and vineyard towns, the Wine Route is mythical. Located in Alsace, it is recommended to visit this road in autumn.
Why do the Wine Route?
Famous worldwide, you will discover beautiful landscapes throughout the trip. Typical villages like Kayserberg, medieval castles and authentic vineyards are what await you.
Experiences to do on the Wine Route
- Discover Alsatian gastronomy on your getaway: kouglof, flammekueche and gingerbread.
- Taste the best wines of the region during a half-day excursion.
- Practice eco-tourism, including learning more about the power of plants.
- Go and admire the sunrise in the heart of the forest.
Where to stay in Alsace
The road is long, so it is possible to stay in different places. Nevertheless, we like Colmar’s charm, which allows you to enjoy the city’s liveliness while being close to the main sites on the road.
Sleeping at Au Vieux Moulin will allow you to experience a truly picturesque stay. Located near Colmar, in the village of Lapoutroie, this hotel is an absolute favorite. It is ideal for recharging your batteries and strolling through the town.
La Roque Gageac, Dordogne
Head to one of the most beautiful villages in France by visiting La Roque Gageac in the Dordogne. Just 12km from Sarlat, this picturesque village is a must-see destination for an autumn vacation.
What activities to do?
- Embark on a gabarre and sail on the Dordogne River. You will have a breathtaking view of the village.
- Discover Paleolithic art by visiting prehistoric sites, including the incredible Lascaux cave.
- Stroll through the village and marvel at the typical roofs and brown tiles charm.
- Taste rich gastronomy: truffles, foie gras and Bergerac wines.
Where to sleep in Dordogne
Hôtel de la Ferme Lamy is a 3-star hotel in the heart of the Périgord. This charming hotel is an old farmhouse, completely renovated and restored to welcome you. Would you prefer to choose the romantic room or the cozy room? You can choose between different rooms, each one more comfortable than the other. And don’t miss the delicious breakfast! Local cheeses, fresh eggs, and an authentic buffet are waiting for you to wake up your taste buds.
Castellane, the Gorges du Verdon
Imagine Castillo lake with vivid colors? The red leaves of the trees and the turquoise blue of the lake make a beautiful combination and a spectacle for everyone. Half Provencal, half Alpine, Castellane is the ideal town to stay in the Verdon.
What to do in the Verdon gorges
A small paradise on Earth, many activities are possible in the gorges for the family or solo travelers.
- Visit Moustiers-Sainte-Marie: a village full of charm and authenticity with many small local markets.
- Explore the most beautiful scenic routes in France, including Route Napoleon.
- Walk around the Lac de Sainte-Croix for a colorful hike.
- Discover the surrounding area, such as the lavender fields of the Plateau de Valensole or a kid-friendly activity: a walk with the goats.
A hotel nearby
Between Provence and the Alps, the Kyriad Digne Les Bains is an excellent option to stay in. This dog-friendly hotel gladly welcomes your pawed companion so he can follow you on your escapades. In addition, you will benefit from a private car park, ideal for a walk in the area afterward, and a restaurant for a hearty breakfast.
Tours, Centre-Val de Loire
Central France is rich in history. With the famous Loire chateaux and its river, this region we know well, especially Orléans, is an ideal destination for an autumn holiday.
What to do in the Loire Valley
- Visit the city of Tours: a lively city rich in history
- Taste the local specialities: pâté de Chartres, rillettes de Tours and tarte Tatin.
- Get lost in the Brenne nature park: herons, wild boars and deer live here in this natural environment.
- Book a ticket for Beauval Park: This is one of the most beautiful zoos in the world where you can see pandas.
A hotel in Tours to stay at
Aparthotel Adagio is the right compromise between a hotel’s comfort and a flat’s independence. Located in the center of Tours’ business district, you can stay in 98 spacious and fully equipped apartments. Whether you prefer a studio or a two-room flat, the choice is yours. As a great bonus, the hotel is located near the A10 motorway to facilitate your travels in Centre-Val de Loire.
Saint-Jean de Luz, Basque Country
The corsair city of Saint-Jean de Luz is a seaside resort well known in the Basque country for its excellent living. Ideal if you don’t know what to choose between the mountains and the sea, as it has both assets.
Must-do activities to do in the Basque Country
- Surfing on the beaches of Biarritz
- Visit Bayonne, the Basque capital, and its UNESCO-listed Gothic cathedral of Sainte-Marie with its cloister
- Taste the Espelette chili pepper in Espelette
- Go hiking: an outdoor activity to enjoy with your family
Where to sleep in the Basque Country
The Chateau de Brindos is the place par excellence for a luxury stay. Located just a stone’s throw from the most beautiful beaches in the Basque country, this is an ideal location for enjoying during your trip to the southwest. Choose an elegant room with a lake view or unusual accommodation: floating lodges. Taste French haute cuisine in the Serre du Château and awaken your 5 senses.
Vacation in France, regardless of the region, in autumn is always a sign of success. However, our neighboring countries, Germany, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands, are also excellent alternatives! So what are you waiting for to pack your suitcase?